TL;DR - Stereotypes portray women as less competent entrepreneurs when compared to men.
Helpfulness - 4
Topic Tags - Women in VC, bias, Stereotype, statistics, visual
- What disadvantages do women face when fundraising?
- What is a government venture capital?
- The study was conducted in Sweden, through their government venture capital. Government venture capital has the goal of creating jobs and achieving other nation-building effects.
- In Sweden, a third of companies were run by women, but only 13-18% of the government venture capital was given to women.
- stereotypical beliefs about men and women reinforced that men were better entrepreneurs, being described as “assertive, innovative, competent, experienced, knowledgeable, and having established networks.”
- For women: “VCs questioning their credibility, trustworthiness, experience, and knowledge.”
- When a man is young, it showed potential, but when a woman is young, it meant she was inexperienced.
- Aggression was praised in men but meant immaturity and emotionalism from women.
- On Average, women received 25% of the funds they applied for, while men received 52-53% of the funds.